9.16.2009

Interesting Facts

In the interest of updating my blizz-og, and because I found some of these keepable, here are a few facts (possibly) I got in an email forward.

P.S. I'm not dead, I'm just in 1569 until November 2nd. Cute pictures on Facebook and by request.

-Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28%

-Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

(Which I guess isn't that shocking once you truly consider North America . . . those upper Canadian regions are vast and untamed.)

-If a statue is a person on a mount, it can mean one of three things: if the horse has reared up, the person died in battle. If the horse has one leg up, the person died of wounds sustained in battle. If all four legs are on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

{www.theequinest.com}

-In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Thus, "Goodnight, sleep tight." (I bet those ropes could double for some kinky bondage . . . just sayin' . . . )

-In Babylon, it was an accepted practice that for a month after a wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month. Thus, "honeymoon."



I just thought these few things were interesting and worth noting. If true, anyway.

No comments: